Author : Webmaster
Article ID : 104
Audience : All
Version 1.00.01
Published Date: 2008/11/17 12:40:00
Reads : 1105

BALL: Of Curtis District.

James Alfred and Elizabeth (Elliott) Ball, -- he, born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, December 11, 1837; she, in the same state and county, June 1, 1835, ~- came from there to Curtis District, year 1874, purchased lands on the Spencer and Ripley turnpike where it crosses the divide between Reedy and Mill Creeks. With J. Alfred and Eliza-beth came their three sons: Elroy S., Orville P., and Hudson 0., the last of whom died in 1878. This family soon made a good farm and entered into the citizenship of the district and county. J. Alfred was most active in Curtis and Reedy Districts, serving one term as a constable of Curtis District; and did his part as a promoter of interest in churches and schools.

Elroy S. Ball, son of J. Alfred and Elizabeth above mentioned, was born in East Finley Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania, October 24, 1863; married Fannie, daughter of George Argabrite of this distriet and have a large family; taught school in his younger days; has been elected and served five terms as a justice of the peace of Curtis District, and owns and lives on the old "home place."

Orville P. Ball, son of J. Alfred and Elizabeth, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, September 4, 1870, married Anna Fouty -- a neighbor girl -- they have three daughters and one son. Russell Ball, born in Curtis District, May 16, 1905, is now linotype man in the work of the Times Record, a newspaper of City of Spencer


Source: History of Roane County, West Virginia, 1774-1927, William H. Bishop, Esq., p 441-442
Submitter: Sandy Spradling, October 1, 1999

Printer Friendly Page Send this Article to a Friend
The comments are owned by the author. We aren't responsible for their content.
Author Thread
Help Wanted!
We welcome submissions of any information pertaining to genealogy and history connected to Roane County, West Virginia. To submit an article click here.
Copyright © 2008-2017 by Roane County Historical Society, Inc.